The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) joined East LA Community Corporation (ELACC) and New Directions for Veterans in the groundbreaking ceremony of the Sun Valley Senior Veterans Apartments (SVSV).
After its completion, SVSV will provide 96 units of permanent supportive housing and will house homeless and chronically homeless disabled veterans. On-site supportive services for the residents will be administered by New Directions for Veterans (NDVets).
“Los Angeles is very fortunate to have a number of good non-profit, mission-driven organizations such as ELACC. This is the only way we are going to achieve and address the needs of affordable housing and homelessness in Los Angeles. HACLA is committed to working on solving the issue of veteran homelessness. To date, we have committed nearly 6,000 units to Project-Based Vouchers. We run the largest veterans VASH Program in the country and as of last week, we approved an additional 580 Project-Based Vouchers including 150 units for veterans,” said HACLA President and CEO Doug Guthrie.
Some of the supportive services that will be available on-site for the residents include: substance use services, employment assistance, individual case management, benefits assistance and advocacy, medication management, peer support, housing retention/eviction prevention services, money management services and recreational activities. Case managers will also provide referral services to local mental health care, primary and preventative healthcare facilities.
In order to achieve Title 24 and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certification standards, SVSV property will have energy efficient window and appliances, solar hot water heating and resilient flooring. Residents will also be able to participate in Transit Connect shuttle program which will provide free monthly Metro passes to the residents and will transport them to the local transit stations. In addition, SVSV project will prevent the production of nearly 9,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.
About Sun Valley Senior Veterans Apartments
- Address: 9041 N. Laurel Canyon Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 91352
- Amenities: Computer lab, On-site Laundry Rooms, Library, Recreation Room, Fitness Center
- Developer: East LA Community Corporation (ELACC)
- Target Population: Homeless and chronically homeless disabled veterans (both VA eligible and non-VA eligible).
- Supportive Service Providers: Supportive services will be provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), New Directions for Veterans, and Union Station Homeless Services.
- Total HACLA PBV commitment to date (all projects): 5946 units; $1,302,985,260
Categories: What's New
| Tags: | View Count: (701) | Return